Fluoride compounds which are put in water (fluoridation), toothpaste and supplement tablets (including some vitamins) were never tested for safety before approval. Many research and studies have shown that the negative side effects of fluoride outweigh any positive effects it may have which if only used as a topical treatment.
Recent independent research by scientists not associated with dental trade organizations has shown the following:
- Its Neurotoxic and Lowers IQ: Damages brain and can cause hyperactivity (ADD) like symptoms. The toxic effects works on central nervous system and studies show effects on the brain and how children exposed to higher levels of fluoride have lower IQs.
- Causes Cancer: The Department of Health in New Jersey found that bone cancer in male children was between two and seven times greater in areas where water was fluoridated.
- Changes Bone Structure and Strength: Fluoride gradually builds up in the bones and causes adverse changes to the bone structure. Quite a few studies have shown that fluoridation leads to increases in hip fractures
- Proven Ineffective: Fluoride compounds in water and in supplements do not provide any significant cavity-protecting effects. All of the recent large-scale studies of water fluoridation have shown that there are no positive effects. That is why countries without fluoridation have shown an equal improvement in dental health as those with fluoridation.
- Impairs Immune System: Independent research has shown that fluoride impairs the functioning of the immune system. In the United States, where toxic fluoride compounds are regularly added to water and given to children since the 1960s and 1970s, we are beginning to see an overwhelming number of people of that generation who are developing chronic immune system disorders
- Increases Lead and Arsenic Exposure: Fluoride compounds put into water are often contaminated with lead, arsenic and radio nuclides since the fluoride compounds are toxic waste byproducts which largely come from pollution scrubbers of fertilizer plants. A study published in 2000 showed that the dumping of toxic silicofluoride compounds into water “fluoridation” causes an increase in blood lead levels in children
If you want more information, try this great mini-documentary. It does a great job of overviewing the many issues surrounding water fluoridation.
Many independent researchers, organizations, holistic healthcare experts and a growing number of dentists who avoid the use of toxic substances are warning their patients to avoid fluoridated water and fluoridated toothpaste and to definitely not give children any fluoride since they appear to be more susceptible to the neurological toxicity from fluoride. Avoid toothpastes that have fluoride even if the manufacturers claim that the fluoride came from “natural” sources. Even though topical fluoride treatment may have an effect to help remineralize cavities at the early stages, the combination of a healthy diet, proper dental hygiene and saliva can have a similar effect.