Though grilling and browning is a tasty option to cook your food, especially meats, it’s not as healthy as cooking in water. A chemical process occurs when you cook proteins and sugar without water that produces AGE’s – or advanced glycated endproducts. It seems fitting to labeled them AGE’s since they cause DNA damage which is basically what happens when we age. Think of what happens to your food when you cook without water. They brown. AGE’s are concentrated in bread crust, browned meats, char-broiled fish, you get the point.
To minimize your body’s need to breakdown these harmful compounds (which by the way, break down slower causing more damage), try to cook with water as much as you can.
- Fill a pan with about 1″ water and heat on medium.
- Salt salmon fillets and carefully set them in the pan skin side down.
- Drizzle a tsp or so of olive oil and juice of half a lemon.
- Let the fillets cook slowly for a few minutes. Cover to have them cook a bit faster.
- Add any herbs you have on hand, salt and season. 🙂