Prep Time: 20 minutes + Soak time | Serves: 12+
It was a hit this weekend when I make my usual Chicken Curry Salad with a bit more jazz as a sandwich for my friend’s Bridal Shower Brunch. This recipe will make 12+ sandwiches but will top 6-8 salads. I used an organic multigrain bread, but feel free to use your favorite. Scoop over your favorite greens – I used arugula in the pictures below – for a fresh summer salad!
You can use more vinegar and omit the lemon juice in the sauce if you wish the sauce to taste more mayo-y. Add the water or broth in increments to avoid the sauce becoming too watery. Depending on the softness of the cashews, you may need more or less liquid. Also, if you want a more traditional chicken salad, just omit the curry!
It’s the perfect recipe to throw together with that left over chicken. Chop up a red bell pepper, cucumber and any other crunchy fruit, veggie, nuts, etc for your favorite combo!
- 2.5 lbs Organic Chicken Thighs (approx 12 pcs), cooked
- 10 stalks Celery, diced (cut lengthwise first then chop)
- 1 green apple, diced (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 red apple, diced (I used Pink Lady)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/4 cup water, vegetable or chicken broth (optional – more or less to achieve desired consistency)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2-3 T cup apple cider vinegar (I was out so I used brown rice vinegar)
- 4 T curry powder
- 2 T agave nectar
- 2 T pink salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- Boil water in a large pot and add chicken thighs. Heat until cooked.
- While chicken is cooking, chop apples, celery and onions and combine in a large mixing bowl.
- Place all ingredients for the sauce in a blender except for the water or broth and blend. Add water or broth until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove, rinse and drain chicken.
- Cut chicken in cubes
- Combine chicken to mixing bowl and mix everything with the sauce and coat evenly.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to use. You can make this a day ahead and assemble sandwiches before serving.