The host at a talk I did a few years back introduced me as an “Organic” Nutritionist. A holistic nutritionist or clinical nutritionist I am, but Organic? I thought it was cute and funny but wondered, would I, if I were meat or produce, be able to be called “organic”?
Well, what is the criteria to be certified organic? According to wikipedia, organic certification “generally involve a set of production standards for growing, storage,
processing, packaging and shipping that include:
- avoidance of most synthetic chemical inputs (e.g. fertilizer, pesticides, antibiotics, food additives, etc) genetically modified organisms, irradiation, and the use of sewage sludge;
- use of farmland that has been free from synthetic chemicals for a
number of years (often, three or more);
- keeping detailed written production and sales records (audit trail);
- maintaining strict physical separation of organic products from
- undergoing periodic on-site inspections.”
So, if you try and apply this to a human being, here is the correlative bullet points I’d write:
- avoidance of synthetics (e.g. food treated with pesticides, hormones or antibiotics, pasteurized food, use of antibiotics, anesthetics, drugs, synthetic colors, cosmetics, fragrances, body care items), GMO foods, microwave usage, unprotected cell phone and computer usage, and tap water;
- been born of a person who followed these guideline for at least 3 years;
- keeping regular visits with a healthcare professional;
- maintaining a clean, chemical free home environment using natural cleaning agents;
- undergoing regular lab tests to maintain status.
That seems fair, right? So the question is, do these 5 bullet points need to have been true for my whole life, because, you can guess that though I’ve always love veggies, I’ve also had my share of ice cream truck visits, chicken nuggets, chili covered mango lollipops, fillet-o-fish burgers, and ramen noodles. In addition to the fast food and college parties, I’ve gotten the regular childhood vaccinations, used Chlorox, fluorescent eyeshadow (not only chemically processed but also animal tested) and yes, I used to use microwaves.
And though my mom grew up in the countryside, on a farm, she didn’t follow these guidelines 3 years before my conception. [Note: Girls, think of your bodies as a farmland, growing crops to sell out on the marketplace (and boys, think of your “seeds” that are needed). If you want your “crops” aka, children, to be “organic”, fresh and healthy, you really need to take care of yourself before thinking about having kids… for their sake but also for yours.]
I don’t think that any of us can say that we are truely “organic” if every single thing we every did is evaluated. Even though I do my best to follow these guidelines, I live in smog-filled LA, eat out, have a beer once in a while and wear synthetic mascara sometimes. So the real question is, how well and how often do you clean up your mess?
The change of seasons is the best time to clean and so it is time, time to Spring Clean to a Fresh Start.
Detoxification is a normal, natural process that our bodies do daily. But because there is so much crap in our daily lives in the modern world, our systems get clogged up. Our livers, intestines, kidneys all get tired and sluggish, not working to their maximum. This results, in skins problems, digestive problems, fatigue, headaches and much much more. Imagine running your car without an oil change every so often. Now, isn’t your bodies a tad bit more important to run as efficiently as possible more important?
contact with go, if not OUT of our system? If your liver is too backed
up to process and excrete, they have to go somewhere, be stored
somewhere. Toxins live in FAT cells! Fatty tissue include your BRAIN,
ovaries, thyroid, prostate, breasts…. and that spare tire you’ve been
carrying around. Ever wonder what cellulite is? It’s toxic buildup in
fat cells. If you don’t detox efficiently you accumulate more toxins. You need more
space (fat) to carry more stuff (toxins), so get rid of the toxins that you don’t
need and lose weight!
Regular, scheduled detox programs, designed to clean out the toxins that build up over time are necessary to think clearly, maximize energy and prevent unnecessary weight gain. There are many programs out there but it’s hard to choose the best. Having tried the products from the most reliable companies, we’ve put together a safe, easy and effective program that will have you feeling lighter, fresher and thinking more clearly. Learn more about our Fresh Start Detox Program here.
Don’t be a lemon! Be organic! 😀